Sunday, February 28, 2010

Random Rants

Today was a fairly quiet day for me, for the most part Cadie and I just hung out. We watched the gold metal hockey game. And right now I am watching the closing ceremonies for the Olympics, and I am sorry to say that I am not enjoying them as much as I could. This is due, is large part to the conduct of our fearless leaders. Before I start this upcoming rant, I would just like to say that I have been every proud of Canada, and Canadian Athletes, but I have been very embarrassed tonight by our leaders. Don’t misunderstand me, I see nothing wrong with leaders showing patriotism, but let’s get one thing straight, this is an international event, not the Canada show. So, I think it would have been appropriate to congratulate all the athletes, not just the Canadians. Instead of seeing dignified leaders, I saw Vancouver’s mayor strutting around in a hockey jersey and some goof ball sitting in the royal box slinging a flag around like it’s a toy. Honestly, you can be proud, and you should be proud, but just as there is a code of conduct for athletes, there is still a code of conduct that needs to be followed. So here are the Canadian leaders acting like high schoolers, with the mortified head of the IOC standing in the background. And finally, I would just like to say that there is no excuse for sloppy, unintelligible French. Honestly. I’m making fun of average people who struggle with French, but I’m sure that the CEO of VANOC could get a pretty thorough crash course in French had he been willing to make the call. The final thing that I will say about the closing ceremonies is that I did enjoy the last 15 or 20 minutes, The Maple Leaf Forever was one of my Grandma Sayle’s favourite songs, so I did enjoy the final medley, in particular I like the floating moose and giant beevers. Very funny.

Although it is my personal opinion that the closing ceremonies are really one irritating debacle after another, I have to say that I am very proud of the Vancouver 2010 games. Officially, I don’t really care about the medals, secretly I intend to brag about these games well into my 90s (God willing). I am so going to miss coming home and being able to up the games on. SO I’m sad that they’re over, but even sadder that they had to go out on a sour note.

Before we sat down to watch the closing ceremonies Cadie and I got out for a short run. It was great, because Toronto was still celebrating the hockey win, so we got to celebrate that too.

I should sign off, I’m afraid that the muses just aren’t with me tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment