Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Into Every Life...

Many of you may not know this, but I dubbed September the "Official Month of Me" about 6 years ago. The honour came after September 2004 ended up being the best month of my life. That's when I landed my first full time job, I mean, that's really the only thing that happened but it was momentous for me. That one event opened a world of possibilities. As I recall there were some other good things that happened in September 2004, but the specifics are lost to the sands of time.

Since I've been fortunate enough to have been steadily employed since 2004, I'm sure you can imagine that no other September has been as great, or has meant as much to me since then. The moniker remained because it made me feel good to know that I had a whole month to celebrate me. It's greedy I know, most people in North America only get a day a year, most people outside North America are lucky if they get that. Still. My birthday is the fist, and so it seemed as though the month should be dedicated to me. Every year my birthday has been pleasant, the weather has been reasonably pleasant, and although these Septembers were uneventful, that too was pleasant.

I have nothing to complain about. 2010 has been my year, and just about everything has gone my way since the end of February. That being said, this September has not been pleasant. Sure there are highlights. C made me feel very special on my birthday, and C, the dogs and I went for a great hike over the labour day weekend, but on the whole it hasn't been a great month.

I've been fighting with the bank, my telephone providers, pay roll, (these fights are my own stupid fault, and everyone I've been dealing has been very helpful, so I really shouldn't call it fighting, but "fighting" really describes my feelings on the subject, rather than the reality of the situations). I've also been involved in a little car accident, embarrassingly less than a month from the day I got the car. To top it off, the weather has gone from ridiculously hot and humid, and borderline cold, with nothing but rain, rain, rain, and the migraines that go along with the rain and cold weather.

The car accident happened in my parking garage, when I hit one of the posts. I was alone in the car, and was driving about 5 to 10 KM/h, so no one was hurt, except poor Hermione and my pride. Last night was a bad one, initially I panicked and tried to handle all of the details for fixing the car by myself but, before too long, (14 hours, and a persuasive email from C), I realized that I couldn't solve this problem on my own, I felt like DJ on Full House, when she drove the family car through the kitchen window.  After a good chat with my benefactor (Bene from this point on) I am feeling much better than I did last night.

So the worst things to have come from all of these challenges is:
1) I learned a good lesson about car safety, and about not panicking behind the wheel!
2) I tend to lose perspective while I'm sitting at home alone, which means that I may need to rethink the whole dating thing, as I may be turning into a hermit in my private life.
3) Bene taught me a lesson that Full House tried to teach me 15 years ago, you can't do everything on your own, you need to talk to friends, and honesty is the best policy, secretes are no good, proving that Bene and C are more persuasive than television.

Again, focusing on the positive, September is only 8 days old, there's still time for things to turn around

No comments:

Post a Comment