Sunday, March 14, 2010

Cadie Scarlett Comes Home

So it’s all over, except of the unpacking. On the whole it went pretty well. WE worked pretty solidly all day yesterday, I was up early to make a huge pot of chili, and start moving some boxes, and get ready for today. My dad, my brother and Salt’s mother were over last night, and I was dismayed to hear that I did not appear to be prepared for today’s move. That didn’t last, they got me back on track, and I am pleased to tell you that the move was more or finished by noon today. I mean, it’s still a little bit of a disaster in here, boxes everywhere, and I have a lot of teacups that still need permanent homes, but this is fairly minor in the bigger scheme of things.

I am very fortunate, I will tell you the least of the reasons why, and then the most of the reasons why; I am very fortunate to have some wonderful antiques. They were obscured in the last apartment; however, they are now being properly showcased. More than that, I am very fortunate, not just to have antiques, but I have mementos of both of my grandmothers in my home. And while the one is still alive and only a phone call away, the other has been gone for almost 9 years, so it’s nice to have a space where I feel so connected to them both.

Secondly, I am most fortunate to have great friends and family. In all I had 9 people here to help me today, and over the weekend, help that was needed and appreciated. Moving is crap, no one likes doing it, even if you are moving to a wonderful new place, it’s still crap. I’m very thankful that I have the week to really put this place together, but I would still be wadding through furniture and other miscellanea if I hadn’t had such a great team this week. So a big, big thank you to all of those very dedicated movers, shakers, and readers of this blog.

Cadie is handling the move quite well. She was panicking a little yesterday, so she stayed with Salt today, while we did the bulk of the work. And I’m glad for that, she doesn’t need to be stressed like that, and I couldn’t have been able to do my part and still look after her. So a big thank you also goes out to Salt for being such a good paws pal.

As my dad and brother were packing up to head out I had a terrible accident. I tripped on something, God only knows what, and I fell, and hit my knee cap on the marble door jamb. I screamed out the foulest of profanities, in front of my new neighbors. At first I didn’t know how bad it really was, but now I’m convinced that it’s nothing more than a bad bruise, however, if it’s really bad tomorrow I will go to see the doctor. I did my best to reduce the swelling, I sat and watched TV with my feet up, and I made sure to cool the area with a pint of Haagen Dazs ice cream, it’s so great to see that modern medical treatments can be both effective and delicious.

Cadie has been very quiet tonight; she didn’t sleep well last night, and has already put herself to bed. I regret that I am going to have to wake her up, but, alas, it is bathroom break time.

So, off I go to enjoy my first night alone in my new home. Tomorrow is another day!

No comments:

Post a Comment